14 October 2013

Autumnal Colors in... (Nyzhni Stanivtsi - 3933 km)

(Czernowitz, 14.10.2013) Irv Osterer from Ottawa in Canada wrote on July 4, 2013: "I am new to the Czernowitz List and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Has anyone posted anything about Stanesti[e] de Jos? It was my grandfather's birthplace. I have yet to find anyone who has visited there." Just in time for my ongoing journey, Jerome Schatten published "A Memorial by Irv Osterer" on Ehpes a few days ago. Reasons enough for me, to make a side trip to Nyzhni Stanivtsi.

As a matter of fact, the Jewish cemetery, adjacent to a psychiatric clinic, is overgrown to the greatest extent by dense undergrowth and the vast majority of the headstones is non-accessible.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Edgar - I'm so sorry that I missed this completely. Thanks so much for going out of your way to post the photos from my grandfather's shtetl. I am only now piecing together exactly what happened to my family in this place in 1941. Everyone died in 24 hour slaughter. I have heard testimonies posted to the Audio Visual Shoah Archives which are horrific. It is amazing that you were able to line up the postcard with the modern day view. A shame that the cemetery is not cared for though. I have to get to this place. I spoke with author Carol Elias who has just written a book about being the daughter of holocaust survivors. Her mother survived the massacre in Stanesti and her family miraculously survived in Transnistria. Her mother is still alive and well and had a recollection of being treated by my uncle Dr. Hersh Schulmann.

Again -many thanks for posting these photos.

irv osterer
ottawa, canada

Edgar Hauster said...

Irv...

Thank you so much for your comment. You'll discover more photos (73 in total) at my MS OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1fQOa79

Enjoy and warmest wishes!